
The bill was big. It was very big. I think I'm too embarrassed to tell you how big it was because I may know you or I may meet you someday and you'll laugh at me. Maybe later once we know each other better.
It was private school tuition for 3 kids. And there's a 4th beauty too - staring up at me with a giant price tag hanging off of her chubby little 6 month old arm, learning to sit and grab at things just in time to stuff the tuition bill in her mouth, elated. Easy for her to decide, but this bill isn't just a private school bill, it's a lifestyle bill. It's the ticket to an incredible and I do mean incredible community of families and educators who love and respect every one of the 900 kids that attend the Atlanta school.
The school sits on multiple city blocks with its unique historical homes marking it's different grade levels. My daughter's kindergarten (and first grade - yes, multiaged classes, a dream!) was on the first floor of such a historic home. The kitchen was the art room and they did cooking in there, the middle room was the meeting area and work room and the third room (yep, for only 24 kids) was a block room full of games and toys and all of the latest and greatest materials. Oh - and there were Macs all over the darn place. And 2 fabulous teachers at all times who go by their first names. Fun and fabulous - kids learning experientially, individually - blossoming in ways impossible to describe. I'm pretty excited to go there. Well, if I'm too old at least I can send my kids.
But the bill, oh the bill. The economy is no good, have you heard? 4 sweet joyful kiddos who'd like to take music (pottery, camp, art, karate, tennis, anything lessons really). Home value underwater. Not enough money to pay. Bummer. Well, if we skipped all of the lessons, consumed exclusively freeze dried food, kept the baby at work with one of us instead of daycare or a nanny, maybe then? Maybe. But it's no fun to feel like the only ones struggling among an affluent group.
But the community, oh the community - cool parents, cool kids, cool teachers. Just cool. I fell in love with this school before we moved to Atlanta. Lookin' for a special place for some special kids and there it was - individuality, environmental stewardship, a place that partners with parents to grow and nurture good, smart, critically thinking people.
Well, the debate raged and ebbed and flowed. Rejected for financial aid and 2 weeks past the deadline (bill now covered in drool and wrinkled not quite beyond recognition), we decided it had to be public school. Millions of very special kids attend public school and take standardized tests and have no recess and only one art class every biweek. Millions of kids have teachers who are prohibited from hugging them, who ban the wearing of crocs (the only shoes in the house) and who get good behavior through elaborate systems of bribery. And those kids grow up just great. Just great indeed.
Well, let's join the millions and find out. Let the games begin.
No comments:
Post a Comment