
I'm pretty dispassionate about politics and pretty disengaged by newsy stuff but even I know that no matter what the venue, there are always two aisles. And that even people who want fiercely to sit on the floor in the middle eventually have to take a seat, even if its just to keep from getting kicked.
And here I am - a crossover of sorts. I started on one aisle, tried to sit in the middle for a while but ultimately was forced to make a choice. So now here I am on the right side. At least its the right side of the aisle if you are coming North on the street that houses both our former and current schools - you guessed it, directly and ironically across the street from each other. 2 schools begging for this slight stretch at a political and educational commentary.
In this case, the street is a busy city street teeming with busses, construction vehicles, long carpool lines and one place where you can never turn left even if you sit all day with your blinkers clearly displayed. The street is hard to cross. It's not the kind that you stroll lightly across. It's the kind that you look 3 times then grasp your children's wrists because little hands can let go.
This is the kind of crossing that requires giving up things that you hold dear and accepting things that are unappealing in measure. It involves the unknown - the embracing, for real or just for show, of new and different ideals.
Even I, political anti-junkie, know that no one crosses the aisle lightly and I feel some empathy for those strangers that struggle not once a year, but every day with that reach. My personal consolation though, is this - parents on both sides of the street want the best for their children. Parents on both sides want their kids to be doctors and rocket scientists. Parents on both sides will have kids who are beauticians and mechanics.
More than anything, parents across the aisle that is this busy city street are in search of the pure joy that crosses their children's face at the dawn of a new discovery. And it is my sincere hope that such joy exists on both sides of the aisle.
Stay tuned, we'll find out together.
No comments:
Post a Comment